IPOH: Ramadan bazaars are allowed in Perak, says state local government committee chairman Datuk Nolee Ashilin Mohamed Radzi.
“Traders at the bazaars must strictly adhere to Covid-19 standard operating procedure.
“All local councils will determine the locations for the bazaars and to ensure the SOP is followed, ” she said yesterday.
Ipoh Mayor Datuk Rumaizi Baharin said 25 locations in the city had been earmarked for the bazaars.
“There will be 1,065 trading lots this year, with each to be placed about 3m apart.
“Traders must wear face masks and gloves and are also required to get anti-typhoid jabs and attend food-handling courses, ” he said.
He added that the city council’s public health and council services unit and enforcement department would be monitoring the bazaars to ensure SOP compliance.
“There will be mandatory body temperature check and hand sanitisers at the entry point, ” Rumaizi said, adding that cashless payments would be introduced at most locations to minimise physical contact.
“We encourage both traders and visitors to use e-wallet apps, ” he said.
Meanwhile, the Taiping Municipal Council has prepared 10 locations to hold the bazaars.
The council has also allowed Aidilfitri expos at five sites, including Jalan Panggung Wayang, Taiping Mall, Persiaran Medan Kamunting Jaya and Arena Square Batu Kurau.
In Negri Sembilan, the state government will allow Ramadan bazaars during the fasting month if the number of Covid-19 cases remains under control, says Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Aminuddin Harun.
He previously said all local councils in the state had been asked to identify areas where these bazaars could be set up while strictly following the SOP.
Negri Sembilan was the first state to ban Ramadan bazaars last year to stem the spread of Covid-19.
In Melaka, Hang Tuah Jaya Municipal Council president Datuk Shadan Othman said the bazaars in the state would be allowed to run with strict adherence to the SOP.
Any decision on cancelling them would only be made upon the advice of the state National Security Council, he added.
Meanwhile, Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) said that Ramadan bazaars would be allowed at 65 locations, from 3pm to 8pm daily, according to Bernama.
“Visitors to Ramadan bazaars are required to comply with the SOP such as wearing face masks, having their body temperature scanned and to check in with the MySejahtera app, ” it said in a statement.
DBKL said the Aidilfitri Bazaar that previously operated along Jalan Raja would be back at its original site, Lorong Tuanku Abdul Rahman, from April 17 to May 12.
It said 208 traders would operate from 10am to midnight at the bazaar stretching from behind the Campbell complex to the intersection of Masjid India.
For Selangor, whether Ramadan bazaars could be held would be decided by the National Security Council, Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Amirudin Shari said last month.
He added that the state would continue its e-kitchen programme.
Under the e-Kitchen Selangor initiative introduced last year, traders could sell buka puasa favourites and other food and beverage items on e-commerce platforms.
The traders were placed at specific locations or e-kitchens that served as venues for packing food, while delivery was done by third parties like e-hailing companies.
Customers placed their orders through an app or website. No cooking or walk-in purchase was allowed at the site.
Muslims will observe the start of Ramadan either tomorrow or Wednesday.