Compiled by C. ARUNO, HEMANANTHANI SIVANANDAM and R. ARAVINTHAN
LOCAL actor and radio deejay Jack Lim is now trying his hand at peddling brassieres online after his successful attempt at selling apartments via Facebook Live, reported China Press.
The 46-year-old artiste said he was shocked when he was approached by a lingerie brand to help sell its products online.
“But I thought ‘why not?’, since it is a custom among the Chinese to buy new undergarments for Chinese New Year, ” he said.
With the help of a lingerie model and a representative from the brand during his livestream presentation, Lim reportedly managed to sell all 1,000 items in just one hour.
However, the usually comedic actor appeared stoic during the livestream and was very careful with his words.
“This could potentially be a sensitive issue.
“With a slight misstep, it could appear obscene or sexual.
“That was why I had to be professional in how I speak, ” he said, adding that the livestream taught him a lot about the history of women’s underwear and common issues they face when choosing the right brassiere.
“It was a great lesson for me!” he said.
It was earlier reported that Lim managed to sell a whopping 20 apartment units costing a total of RM6mil in less than eight seconds.
Lim experimented with hosting a livestream shopping programme in June 2020, which started off as a parody of sorts involving him selling novelty items like bottles of air and his own merchandise such as DVDs.To his surprise, he managed to sell 200 items in less than 10 minutes, prompting him to start his own online selling series.
> Some 80,000 yuan (RM50,356) meant for the wedding of a woman’s son and his fiancee went up in smoke – literally – after it caught fire from the kitchen stove, reported China Press.
A mother from Henan province withdrew the money from her savings account in preparation for her son’s wedding.
While the family was counting the cash in the kitchen, a few friends came to visit and they left the cash unattended to have a chat in the living room.
However, the cash was left too close to a lit stove and caught fire quickly.
When the family members returned to the kitchen, the notes had been burnt to crisp.
The mother and son took what remained of the notes to the bank and managed to exchange around 20,000 yuan (RM12,585) for ones that were considered partially damaged.
The son was reported to have said he regretted their carelessness but was grateful to the bank for being willing to accept some of the notes.
The above articles are compiled from the vernacular newspapers (Bahasa Malaysia, Chinese and Tamil dailies). As such, stories are grouped according to the respective language/medium. Where a paragraph begins with a >, it denotes a separate news item.