Health Ministry suggests funeral gatherings be limited to 20 after emergence of new Covid-19 clusters


PUTRAJAYA: After the emergence of several Covid-19 clusters caused by funerals, the Health Ministry has suggested that such gatherings be limited to a maximum of 20 people.

Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said this is to prevent clusters such as the Pasai cluster in Sarawak and last year’s Tawar cluster in Kedah from happening again.

“We realise that gatherings such as funerals or weddings have the potential to spread Covid-19 infection, if someone who is positive is in attendance.

“This is what we have seen with the two big clusters of Pasai and Tawar.

“We understand that funerals are a sensitive issue, due to cultural and emotional reasons.

“What is more important is we should limit funeral gatherings to 20 people. Such gatherings also need approval from the police, ” said Dr Noor Hisham at the ministry’s Covid-19 press conference here on Thursday (Jan 21).

He said it is very important for attendees of such gatherings to comply with Covid-19 guidelines at all times.

“Ensure physical distancing of at least one metre, wear face masks and frequently wash hands.

“We hope the attendees comply with the Covid-19 rules and regulations that the Health Ministry have put in place all these while.

“That is the advice we can give, ” said Dr Noor Hisham.

The Pasai cluster is currently Sarawak’s biggest ever cluster, with 981 confirmed infections and one death to date.

The cluster originated from a 32-year-old woman who travelled from Johor on Dec 29 to attend her father’s funeral ceremony in the Sibu division.

The Tawar cluster, which originated in Kedah, is linked to a funeral on July 31.

There were 92 cases and three deaths under the cluster, with infections spreading in Kedah and Penang.

On Jan 20, the Health Ministry also announced the emergence of the Kampung Balibata cluster, which is linked to a funeral in a village in Beaufort, Sabah.

Its index case is a 47-year-old man who had travelled to Sabah from Selangor to attend the funeral.

So far, 39 people under the cluster have tested positive.

Article type: free
User access status:
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

86% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

Open burning prohibited in Selangor, Pahang, Johor
Police: Two people in van trapped in MRR2 bridge collapse died at scene
All five victims trapped after SUKE bridge collapsed extracted, sent to hospital
Zoo Negara to reopen on Friday (March 5)
Woman hurt after accident with police patrol car in Kluang
SUKE developer: Overloaded trailer in MRR2 bridge collapse not involved in highway's construction
All ship crew members entering Sabah waters for barter trade must be tested for Covid-19, says Masidi
Police investigating threats to health officials in Nabawan over Covid-19 cases
Johor cops nab seven bikers for reckless riding
Hailstones hit Cheras during downpour

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers