PUTRAJAYA: The movement control order will be imposed in Kelantan and the Sibu district in Sarawak from Jan 16-26 due to the rise in Covid-19 cases.
Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said Kelantan was previously placed under a conditional MCO but the number of active cases has more than doubled in the past two weeks.
He said that since Jan 1, the cumulative number of positive cases recorded in the state was 1,649 and the number of active cases had jumped in 14 days from 328 cases to 891 cases.
"The Health Ministry also informed the National Security Council’s special meeting that 90% of the districts in Kelantan are now red and amber zones.
"Following this, the meeting has agreed to place Kelantan under MCO for 14 days beginning Jan 16, '" he said.
He also announced that the Sibu district in Sarawak would be placed under MCO following an increase in positive cases.
The number of cases has increased since Dec 31, when there were only two Covid-19 cases reported.
"Most of the cases were related to the Pasai cluster, which has now spread to 18 longhouses in Sibu.
"Therefore, Sibu will be placed under MCO from Jan 16 until Jan 26," he said.
Did you find this article insightful?
57% readers found this article insightful