Covid-19: Penang Remand Prison, officers' quarters under enhanced MCO from Oct 15


PUTRAJAYA: The Penang Remand Prison and the prison officers’ quarters will be placed under an enhanced movement control order (MCO) from Oct 15, says Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.

He said this will involve 2,830 people, including inmates, and prison staff and their families.

INTERACTIVE: Latest figures (Malaysia)

He added that the move was necessary to control the spread of Covid-19, especially to stop infections within the community.

“There will be no movement in and out of the area. Any movement among prison staff will be determined by prison authorities.

“Food and other basic essentials will be distributed to those affected, ” he said in his regular briefing on Tuesday (Oct 13).

Ismail added that those under remand and about to be released will be separated, tested for Covid-19, and quarantined.

“Those who test positive will be sent to hospital for treatment, ” he said.

INTERACTIVE: Latest figures (Worldwide)

Earlier, a total lockdown had been imposed on the blocks of inmates who tested positive for Covid-19 in the Penang Remand Prison.

Standard operating procedures (SOPs) to prevent the spread of the virus have been enforced.

On Monday (Oct 12), 141 Covid-19 positive cases were found among inmates in the prison.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

INTERACTIVE: Strict home quarantine SOP for Covid-19 patients and household crucial to avoid wider Covid-19 transmission
Questions raised over rush to charge M’sian duo
‘Charges politically driven’
Senior citizen with Covid-19 found dead at home
Finally in the dock after 18 years
So many unknowns about Hambali’s Malaysian cohorts
Transfer of judge a routine matter, say experts
IGP: It’s a lie spread by syndicates
Mah: Move to minimise risk
4,275 cases a new high, recoveries top list

Stories You'll Enjoy