SEREMBAN: Police have detained two suspects in Kota Baru and seized an 18-wheeler trailer over the waste-dumping incident in a Nilai river near here that caused the closure of two water treatment plants in Selangor.
State deputy police chief SAC Che Zakaria Othman said the two suspects, who were the driver and attendant of the vehicle, were detained around 12.45pm on Tuesday (Oct 6).
"Based on public information, police managed to trace the vehicle back to Kelantan and detained the suspects.
"We will apply for a seven-day remand order from the court later today to detain the duo," he told reporters at the state police contingent.
He said based on preliminary findings, the suspects were employees of a Kota Baru-based transport company.
The case was being investigated under Section 430 of the Penal Code for "mischief to works of irrigation or by wrongfully diverting water".
Those found guilty can be jailed between five and 30 years or fined, or both.
On Tuesday (Oct 6), SAC Che Zakaria said police had obtained leads into the case and was already on the trail of those behind this illegal act.
He said based on preliminary findings, the waste dumped along the banks of Sg Batang Benar near here had been brought in from another state.
The dumping of the waste, believed to be liquid and semi-solid organic compounds, disrupted operations at the Sungai Semenyih and Bukit Tampoi water treatment plants on Sunday.
This led to unscheduled water cuts to 309,867 account holders of Air Selangor in 274 areas in the Petaling, Hulu Langat, Kuala Langat and Sepang districts.
The supply is expected to resume in stages from today until Friday (Oct 9).
The authorities have yet to establish if it was scheduled or domestic waste and if it was the main cause of the contamination of Sg Semenyih.
Samples have been sent to the Chemistry Department for analysis.
Did you find this article insightful?
83% readers found this article insightful