Be on standby to receive non-Covid-19 patients from Hospital Sg Buloh, hospitals in S’gor told


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 04 Oct 2020

PETALING JAYA: Hospitals in Selangor have been ordered to be on standby to receive non-Covid-19 patients following indication of the start of a third wave of Covid-19 infections in the country.

This comes as the status of Hospital Sungai Buloh, the country's main Covid-19 medical treatment facility, is being changed from a 'hybrid Covid-19 hospital' to 'full Covid-19 hospital' in anticipation of an influx of patients in the coming days.

In a letter on Friday (Oct 2), Selangor Health Department director Dr Sha'ari Ngadiman reminded all hospitals in the state to be prepared to take in non-Covid-19 patients from Hospital Sungai Buloh.

"This department has urged the Sungai Buloh Hospital to prepare for a change of status from 'hybrid Covid-19 hospital' to 'full Covid-19 hospital'.

"We hope you will cooperate to ensure clinical services are not affected and operate smoothly," Sha'ari said in his letter as reported by a news portal on Sunday (Oct 4).

Hospital Sungai Buloh was designated a Covid-19 hospital in March when the first Covid-19 wave hit the nation.

Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said Malaysia is expected to enter the third wave of Covid-19 following a rise in the number of infections globally in several nations.

On Saturday (Oct 3), Dr Noor Hisham said the number of Covid-19 cases in the country is expected to rise over the next few days.

Dr Noor Hisham's warning comes after the country recorded the highest number of infections in a single day on Saturday with 317 new cases compared to 287 cases the day before (Oct 2) and 260 cases on Thursday (Oct 1).

The recent rise in the number of infections had pushed the total number of cumulative Covid-19 cases above the 12,000 mark since the outbreak of the pandemic here earlier this year.

Sabah, Kedah and Selangor have seen a rise in the number of infections following the emergence of several Covid-19 clusters.

The government said that it has no plans to reintroduce the movement control order (MCO) nationwide despite a surge in Covid-19 cases of late but rely on targeted MCO.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Tioman win a must to preserve Barisan, Pakatan's dignity, says Wan Rosdy
POLITICS: How Zahid out-maneuvered Muhyiddin
Rock star welcome for Anwar on his return to Tambun
Welder charged with murdering senior citizen
Disaster area declared after soil movement in Lobak, 12 families evacuated
Sultan Nazrin grants audience to PM Anwar at Istana Kinta
King presents letters of appointment to 11 Malaysian envoys
GE15: Three early voting centres to open for Padang Serai, Tioman seats on Dec 3
MetMalaysia issues continuous rain warning in several areas in the peninsula
GE15: Padang Serai BN candidate stops campaigning

Others Also Read