Decision to be made today (Sept 28) on advising Sabah govt to impose targeted enhanced MCO, says Health DG


  • Nation
  • Monday, 28 Sep 2020

PUTRAJAYA: A decision will be made on Monday (Sept 28), whether to advise the Sabah government to impose a targeted enhanced movement control order (MCO) in the state.

Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said that a meeting would be held in the afternoon to discuss the matter, following a spike in Covid-19 cases in recent weeks.

"We will meet to discuss the next step for Sabah in relations to Covid-19 and will make an announcement," he said to reporters when met at a Malaysia Breast Care Nurse meeting here.

However, Dr Noor Hisham did not indicate whether it is the National Security Council or the special Cabinet committee which would meet to look into the matter.

He also did not disclose who would be making the announcement.

Dr Noor Hisham explained that measures had been taken to check the spread of Covid-19 in Sabah.

This includes enhancing border control to stop foreigners from entering the country illegally, which is crucial in preventing the virus infection, he added.

"However, we did not announce the enforcement of MCO or targeted enhanced MCO because we do not want to create this impression that we are preventing voters from exercising their rights to vote," he said.

On the screening exercise at KL International Airport (KLIA) and KLIA2 done on those returning from Sabah, Dr Noor Hisham said that it would take between 10 and 15 minutes per person to complete the screening process.

"The medical personnel will question passengers to get more information on their health status and movement activities while in Sabah. Then they will undergo both nose and throat swabs.

"After this is done, we will put the wristband on and explain to them what needs to be done," he said.

Dr Noor Hisham said that at least two hours are needed to clear passengers from one plane, adding that some 400 medical staff had been despatched to work at KLIA and KLIA2.

The Health Ministry had earlier announced that individuals returning from Sabah from Sept 27 to Oct 10 will have to undergo a compulsory Covid-19 inspection upon arrival at entry points in the peninsular and Sarawak.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

94% readers found this article insightful

Across the site