PUTRAJAYA: The Tawar cluster is showing no signs of stopping, with another three new Covid-19 cases linked to it.
With 73 cases and spanning three generations, Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said health intervention activities had been stepped up.
“Among these are increasing active case detection, beefing up enforcement on standard operating procedure compliance as well as closing schools and premises for disinfection and sanitisation.
“Preventive measures have been focused in Kedah, where 85% of the cases under the cluster have occurred, ” he said.
The Tawar cluster’s index case (Patient 9,113) is a 53-year-old man who tested positive on Aug 12. He had attended a funeral on Aug 1 along with other family members.
As at noon yesterday, the ministry had screened 4,051 people linked to this cluster in Kedah, Penang and Perak, he said.
Kedah recorded 62 cases under this cluster while Penang reported 11 infections.
Eleven people have been screened in Perak and they all tested negative for the virus.
A total of 3,408 screened have tested negative, while 570 are still waiting for results.
The three new cases under this cluster were among the country’s six new infections announced by Dr Noor Hisham yesterday.
The sole imported case involved a non-
Malaysian who arrived from Singapore. The remaining two local transmissions were detected in Alor Setar. They were found at Hospital Sultanah Bahiyah, of which one was a Severe Acute Respiratory Infection (SARI) patient while another was confirmed following a screening on symptomatic cases.
Malaysia has discharged seven more patients, bringing the total number of recoveries to 8,978 or at a rate of 96.6%.
The total number of active cases in the country is now at 188.
Nine people have been admitted to the intensive care unit, with six of them requiring ventilator support. No deaths were reported, which means the country’s death toll remains at 125, or a 1.35% fatality rate.
Did you find this article insightful?
100% readers found this article insightful