Expired eggs in pudding caused food poisoning


  • Nation
  • Monday, 01 Jun 2020

KUALA TERENGGANU: A recent case of food poisoning involving 99 people in Terengganu from the consumption of “puding buih” has been found to be due to the use of expired eggs.

State Local Government, Housing, Health and Environment Committee chairman Dr Alias ​​Razak said the trader involved had used eggs over two weeks past the expiry date when making the pudding.

“The state Health Department has taken action by shutting down the kitchen used by the puding buih trader for 14 days until June 7, in accordance with Section 18(1)(d) of the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act, ” he told reporters yesterday.

On May 22, a total of 99 people suffered food poisoning after consuming the pudding, with some being admitted to public and private hospitals.

Dr Alias said the state government would conduct a detailed study on the standard operating procedure (SOP) for small-scale food traders operating from home to prevent such occurrences in the future.

“We have asked the health authorities to provide an SOP for home-based food traders so as to help them generate some income, and at the same time ensure the safety of food that is sold, ” he said. — Bernama

Article type: free
User access status:
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

94% readers found this article insightful

Across the site