Deputy Health Minister gives statement to police


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 21 Apr 2020

PETALING JAYA: Deputy Health Minister Datuk Dr Noor Azmi Ghazali has given his statement to the police over his meal with several dozen others at a tahfiz in Maahad Tahfiz in Lenggong, Perak, during the movement control order (MCO) period.

In a statement to a news portal, he said he gave his statement at the Putrajaya district police station yesterday.

“I’ve given my cooperation to the police investigating the matter,” said Noor Azmi, who added that he visited the Lenggong public health clinic in his official capacity to monitor the healthcare staff on their work against Covid-19.

“I admitted I was mistaken and apologised to Malaysians,” he said.

Noor Azmi was seen with several individuals at the event, including Perak state executive councillor, Razman Zakaria.

Kerian district police said they had recorded a statement from Razman, who is the education, human capital, non-governmental organisations and civil society committee chairman.

Kerian district police chief Supt Omar Bakhtiar Yaacob told a press conference at Bagan Serai yesterday that Razman and five others were present at the district police headquarters yesterday to have their statement recorded.

On Sunday, Razman, who is the Gunung Semanggol assemblyman and Perak PAS commissioner, tendered an open apology on Facebook over the issue.

In another development, Omar Bakhtiar said eight individuals, including four women, were arrested for violating the MCO by gambling at a house in Kampung Teluk at Bagan Serai on Sunday.

He said the suspects, aged between 53 and 59, were detained in a raid at 4pm, adding that police also seized several items including playing cards and cash amounting to RM119.

Omar Bakhtiar said all of them were remanded for two days beginning yesterday to facilitate investigations.

Meanwhile, the Inspector General of Police, Tan Sri Abdul Hamid Bador, said the investigation paper on Noor Azmi was expected to be completed yesterday.

“Investigations are still being conducted and (the paper) will be submitted to the public prosecutor for further action.

“All the cases which went viral such as this will definitely be investigated and action taken,” he told Bernama yesterday.

Last Friday, several photographs on Facebook – since then deleted – showed Noor Azmi sitting down for a meal with a group of people at Lenggong, which netizens pointed out was in violation of the MCO. — Bernama

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

57% readers found this article insightful

Across the site