PUTRAJAYA: Although an exponential rise of Covid-19 cases has not been seen throughout the movement control order (MCO) period so far, the Health Ministry warns that Malaysia’s war against the disease is not over yet.
Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah on Wednesday (April 8) said the government was still closely monitoring its Covid-19 data closely before deciding if the MCO should be extended beyond April 14.
“We are monitoring very closely every day in terms of the increase of positive cases, and its distribution in the states and district areas.
“As far as we are concerned, there’s no exponential growth as seen in our cases.
“We have not won the war yet, but neither have we lost the war, ” said Dr Noor Hisham at the ministry’s daily Covid-19 press conference here.
When asked if the MCO should be extended, Dr Hisham said scientific data was more important than people’s opinion in such matters.
“The Health Ministry operates based on facts and science. It is not about my opinion.
“We are doing our own modelling in terms of case projection. We have seen the initial reports but we still need a day or two to analyse the available data.
“With the data we have in hand, the ministry will submit a proposal to the Cabinet and the Prime Minister.
"The decision lies with the Cabinet, ” he said.
The country is currently in its second phase of the MCO, after the initial end-date on March 31 was extended by two weeks.
Did you find this article insightful?
93% readers found this article insightful