GEORGE TOWN: Starting on Sunday (March 22), roadside hawking around market complexes in four crowded areas on the island will no longer be allowed to ensure that people abide by the movement control order (MCO).
The areas are in Ayer Itam, Bayan Baru, Jalan Perak and Jelutong.
Penang Island City Council (MBPP) mayor Datuk Yew Tung Seang (pic) said the decision was made on Saturday (March 21), after repeated warnings issued to the public over the last three days went unheeded.
"So far, most food establishments and shops on the island have complied to the order, except for those in these four areas.
"Council officers and the police have visited these four areas several times over the past three days to advise the people, but the situation did not seem to show changes or improvement.
"Hence, we have decided that all roadside hawkers in the four areas will be closed," he said during a press conference in Komtar on Saturday.
Yew added that the council was also able to monitor the areas through its CCTV cameras and warnings could be issued through the speakers.
"Those who are trading illegally will face confiscation of their properties there," he added.
Since the MCO was enforced on Wednesday (March 18), videos of authorities attempting to disperse the crowd in Ayer Itam market area have gone viral.
The videos showed how marketgoers and traders were still going about their daily business despite the warnings from the authorities blaring aloud from the loudspeakers of their vehicles.
The shoppers, unperturbed by the sight and warnings, continued crowding the stalls which congested roads in the area.