PUTRAJAYA: Police will track down the remaining 4,000 participants who have yet to come forward to be tested for Covid-19 after attending the tabligh gathering last month, says Defence Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.
He said that police made the decision as there were concerns that many who went for the rally at Masjid Jamek Sri Petaling in Kuala Lumpur from Feb 27 to March 1 had not come forward to be screened.
“While police said they will be doing this, I hope those who went for the event voluntarily get themselves tested, ” he said at a press conference yesterday.
The majority of Covid-19 cases recorded in the country are from the tabligh cluster.
On reports that 83 Malaysians had gone to Indonesia to attend another tabligh gathering, Ismail Sabri said they would be quarantined for 14 days upon their return.
“We are also getting details from the Immigration Department on how many Malaysians are overseas and their expected return so that necessary action can be taken, ” he said.
Meanwhile, the Health Ministry revealed that of the 10,000 tabligh participants who were screened, about 5,000 were asked to give samples, and out of this, about one in 10 was positive for the virus.
‘We urge the participants who haven’t come forward to be screened by the ministry, ” Health Ministry director-general Datuk Seri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said in a Facebook post yesterday.
The tabligh gathering at the mosque drew around 16,000 participants, with about 14,500 of them Malaysians.