Ministry reactivates Talian Kasih hotline after public flak


PETALING JAYA: Following public criticism, Women and Family Development Minister Datuk Seri Rina Harun (pic) says the government has decided to reactivate the Talian Kasih hotline, which was initially suspended for two weeks due to the movement control order.

“Talian Kasih will be continued with its present aim of receiving complaints pertaining to women, family and community issues, particularly to address emergency incidents involving welfare and the community, ” she said in a press statement Wednesday (March 18).

At the same time, Rina also said the government has decided to set up a special hotline (03-8888 2010) to address questions and complaints by the public on any issues relating to the movement control order, which was imposed due to the Covid-19 outbreak.

Earlier Wednesday, Rina drew criticism from politicians and NGOs after a tweet by the Women and Family Development Ministry announced that the Talian Kasih hotline would be suspended for two weeks from March 18 to 31.

The tweet, however, was deleted shortly after.

Moments later, a check by The Star on the Women and Family Development Ministry Twitter account found that it announced the reactivation of the Talian Kasih hotline.

“Thank you for the feedback. We would like to inform you that the Talian Kasih 15999 and also 019-261 5999 on WhatsApp will be in operation again.”

In January, former women, family and community development minister Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail said the Talian Kasih hotline had received 25,868 calls last year, with an increase of over 70% compared with 15,046 calls in 2018.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

JB cops nab Iraqi national suspected of beating man with iron rod
Father sets up daughter's 'classroom' in tent at top of hill
Covid-19: Sandakan opens new 500-bed quarantine, low-risk treatment centre at detention facility
‘Banana man’ issued summonses for driving with tree lodged in car in Skudai
Two foreign workers seriously hurt after concrete wall collapses on them
Border shootout: Sjn Norihan Tari transferred out of ICU
Flood situation improving in several states, Sg Golok still above danger level
Covid-19: Four new clusters detected in KL, Sabah, Selangor and Kelantan
Pejuang info chief comes to Dr M's defence, says had no part in wanting to set up Perikatan Nasional
Covid-19: 1,309 new cases reported, three fatalities bring death toll to 357 (updated)

Stories You'll Enjoy