Shahrir among 34 who failed to quash MACC compounds


Former Felda chairman ‎Tan Sri Shahrir Abdul Samad

KUALA LUMPUR: The High Court here rejected an application for judicial review by 34 individuals, including former Felda chairman Tan Sri Shahrir Abdul Samad and Pontian MP Datuk Seri Ahmad Maslan to strike out the compound notices of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) over charges of receiving funds from 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB).

The decision was made by judge Datuk Nordin Hassan in his chambers yesterday after hearing arguments by both parties on the application filed by 34 individuals as applicants against the MACC chief commissioner and MACC as respondents.

Counsel Mohamed Shahrul Fazli Kamarulzaman, who represented all applicants, told reporters that the court dismissed the application without order to cost.

“The judge found the action of the respondent (MACC) in issuing the compound notices was part and parcel of criminal proceedings and as such it could not be reviewed by the court, ” he said.

Mohamed Shahrul Fazli said some of the 34 applicants might appeal the decision.

Senior federal counsel Ahmad Hanir Hambaly acted on behalf of MACC chief commissioner and MACC.

Shahrir, Ahmad Maslan and Umno supreme council member Datuk Mohd Sumali Reduan, as well as 31 other individuals, filed the judicial review application separately in November and December last year.

In the application, all applicants sought to declare the decision and action of the two respondents in compounding them via the Offer to Compound Offence dated Oct 7,2019, as ultra vires, invalid, cancelled and could not be enforced.

The applicants also sought to cancel the decision and action of the second respondent in compounding them, apart from applying for an order to prevent MACC from enforcing the compound or continue their prosecution against them.

Also being sought was a declaration that the statement of the first respondent (MACC chief commissioner) during a media conference on the decision to issue the compound notice against the three applicants was to recover 1MDB funds said to be belonging to the people as premature, wrongly conceived and abuse of the civil service.

On Oct 7 last year, MACC chief commissioner Latheefa Koya, in a media conference, said MACC had issued compound notices to 80 individuals and entities for receiving RM420mil believed to be from 1MDB.

Latheefa said nine individuals and 71 entities comprising 23 companies, 43 political organisations and five foundations received cheques involving the personal account of former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak. — Bernama

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

100% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

Ismail Sabri: Condo management have no authority to compound residents who violate SOP
'I'm fine, vaccine is safe, ' says Muhyiddin a day after inoculation
New environmental issues in the new norm, says PM at Hibiscus Awards
Tapir wanders into school in Kuantan as students sit for SPM paper
Cops nab four over armed robbery at shop selling luxury items
No open houses and visits, Sabahans celebrating Chap Goh Meh reminded
Health Ministry: 18 Covid-19 clusters end, eight new ones emerge
MCO violators face up to RM10,000 fine under amended Emergency Ordinance from March 11
Dams and parks under Penang Water Supply Corp to reopen from Friday
JB workshop raided for selling gas cylinders without a licence

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers