BUKIT MERTAJAM: The case of M. Vaitheswaran (pic), who was accused of causing a sports utility vehicle (SUV) to crash into the sea from Penang Bridge, has been postponed due to a change in defence counsel.
Lawyer K. Paramanathan said he was appointed after Vaitheswaran's previous lawyer discharged himself from the case.
Deputy public prosecutor Mohammad Nazri Abdul Rahim told the court that time will be needed for the new lawyer to study the case before it could proceed.
Magistrate Ahzah Fariz Ahmad Khairuddin has set March 10,11 and 13 to resume trial.
Vaitheswaran, 22, was accompanied by his father at the court on Monday (Feb 10).
He is charged with driving recklessly and causing the death of Moey Yun Peng, 20, at the fourth kilometre of the mainland-bound side of the bridge around 3am on Jan 20 last year.
Moey’s body was found strapped to the driver’s seat after the vehicle was retrieved from the sea three days later.
If convicted, Vaitheswaran faces a jail term of no less than two years and up to 10 years, and a fine of no less than RM5,000 and up to RM20,000, or both.
His driving licence has been suspended until the case is over.