PETALING JAYA: Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim will file a defamation suit against Muhammed Yusoff Rawther over his Nov 19 statutory declaration (SD) last year claiming that the PKR president had sexually assaulted him.
Anwar's lawyer, Ramkarpal Singh, confirmed that several days ago, Anwar had instructed him to file the suit against Yusoff next week.
"As police investigations into the allegations in the SD are now complete with the Solicitor-General announcing that Anwar will not be charged ... I will take the necessary steps to file the said defamation suit next week," Ramkarpal said in a statement on Friday (Jan 17).
Earlier, in a press conference, Yusoff said he was not cowed by Anwar's threat to sue him over his accusation.
Yusoff challenged Anwar to sue him, adding he was ready for a prolonged battle to seek justice.
He also expressed disappointment with the Attorney General's Chambers' decision not to pursue the case, adding that he was "terribly disappointed with the reasons" given.
On Jan 14, Solicitor-General Engku Nor Fauzah Engku Atek issued a statement saying they were dropping the case upon the police's advice.
Yusoff, who is Anwar's former aide, lodged a police report in December last year, alleging that the PKR president had outraged his modesty on Oct 2,2018.
Anwar had denied it the allegations, calling it baseless slander.
He also said that he was campaigning for the Port Dickson by-election on that day of the alleged incident.
Did you find this article insightful?