KUALA LUMPUR: The breakfast scheme for students in national schools will continue but only for those who are "deserving", says Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
The Prime Minister, who is also the acting Education Minister, said it would not be fair to provide breakfast for all students across the board.
"The breakfast scheme for students will be continued, but only for those who cannot afford it.
"To provide breakfast to everyone means even those who are rich and (can afford to have) breakfast at home) will get them too. So, it's not fair.
"We will continue the scheme and add on only those who are deserving," said Dr Mahathir, who spoke to the media after officiating the Balai Islam Complex at Tenaga Nasional Bhd headquarters in Bangsar on Thursday (Jan 16).
Former education minister Dr Maszlee Malik had previously stated that the breakfast scheme would be for all students regardless of their income status.
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!