PETALING JAYA: Attorney General Tan Sri Tommy Thomas says he will take action against his officers who had filed an appeal against the High Court's decision to acquit Rafizi Ramli for allegedly exposing confidential banking details relating to the National Feedlot Corporation (NFC).
Thomas told The Edge that he did not instruct his officers to file an appeal and was not aware that it was done.
“I am shocked as it was decided after a discussion I had with the Election Commission chairman Datuk Azhar Azizan Harun that we will not be appealing and the decision was conveyed to the relevant officers.
“This is clear disobedience. I will initiate disciplinary action against those responsible,” he was quoted as saying on Friday (Dec 6).
Earlier, Rafizi had responded on the appeal by the Attorney General’s Chambers against the High Court’s decision.
“I hope he is as diligent to bring to justice the ex-minister’s family members who (have) benefited from the RM250mil.
“None of them has been charged in court so far,” he tweeted.
Youth and Sports Minister Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman also showed his solidarity on Twitter, questioning the need for the appeal.
“He spoke up in the interest of Malaysians. As Pakatan Harapan’s Youth chief, I’m with Rafizi Ramli in solidarity.
“AGC needs to answer this,” he tweeted.
On Nov 15, the Shah Alam High Court overturned the PKR vice-president’s conviction for exposing confidential banking details relating to the NFC.
In February last year, months before GE14, the former Pandan MP was sentenced by the Sessions Court to 30 months in jail for flouting the Banking and Financial Institutions Act 1989.
Rafizi was charged with having access to four customer profile documents pertaining to the balance summaries of NFCorp, National Meat and Livestock Sdn Bhd, Agroscience Industries Sdn Bhd and NFCorp executive chairman Datuk Seri Mohamad Salleh Ismail.
He was accused of exposing the documents to a media consultant and journalist at the PKR headquarters at Merchant Square, Jalan Tropicana Selatan 1 on March 7, 2012.
The Act was, however, repealed after he was charged in August 2012.
Attorney General has filed an appeal to reverse the High Court’s decision on BAFIA in NFC case.— Rafizi Ramli (@rafiziramli) December 6, 2019
I hope he is as diligent to bring to justice the ex-minister’s family members who benefited frm the RM250m.
None of them has been charged in court so far. pic.twitter.com/QY0pirTJ4n
I cannot imagine what you’re going through.— Syed Saddiq (@SyedSaddiq) December 6, 2019
He spoke up in the interest of the Malaysian public.
Sebagai Ketua Pemuda HARAPAN, saya bersolidariti bersama @rafiziramli .
AGC perlu jawab. https://t.co/h7KAci2jvm