KUALA LUMPUR: The Health Minister has hailed the decision by the High Court here to dismiss a constitutional challenge against the ministry's total ban on smoking in all food outlets, in the form of educational enforcement nationwide on Jan 1 this year.
"Alhamdulillah! Smoking ban at eateries stands!" Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad tweeted on Tuesday (Oct 29).
"Tahniah, rakyat Malaysia (Congratulations Malaysians)," he added.
He said the ministry would continue to promote a healthy environment in order to protect the health of the people.
Dzulkefly also thanked ministry staff who had been consistent in defending the ban on smoking in public eating places.
In addition, he thanked all NGOs that had been supporting and defending the policy.
The High Court here on Tuesday dismissed the challenge brought by seven smokers to review the ministry's smoking ban in food outlets, which they said was unconstitutional.
According to media reports, Judge Datuk Seri Mariana Yahya ruled that the application by the group did not breach Articles 5 and 8 of the Federal Constitution which provides for the rights of person and equality before the law.
She said they could still smoke 3m away from food premises and were not denied their freedom of choice.