Perak exco member Paul Yong back to work on Friday, says aide (updated)


IPOH: The state executive councillor accused of raping his Indonesian maid will be back at work on Friday (July 12), says his private secretary Teoh Hui Yng.

She said Paul Yong Choo Kiong would be resuming his normal duties as he had been going to the police station the past few days in relation to the case.

“I will check with him, if he is willing to speak to the media. 

"If he agrees, then I will arrange for a press conference,” she told reporters after lodging a police report.

On the police report, Teoh said this was in connection with a telephone call shereceived during which she was asked if she had been harassed by her boss.

Teoh, 27, who has been working for Yong for the past seven months, said the call on July 10 at about 1pm was from a person named Loh Tian Quan.

The caller asked if she had been sexually harassed by Yong.

She said the caller, who she believed was a member of a political party, did not mention the executive councillor’s name. But he told her that if Yong had sexually harassed her, then she must not be stupid and keep quiet.

He said she must lodge a police report.

“During the conversation, the caller told me that everyone knew he (Yong) had such tendency.

“I denied (this), and told him that I had never been harassed by my boss. And I told him not to make wild allegations as the police have yet to confirm if he is indeed guilty.

“I hope the police will investigate if there are elements to slander him (Yong), as well to investigate under abetment,” said Teoh who lodged her report at the Ipoh police headquarters.

When contacted, Loh, who is also from MCA, said he called Teoh as a friend to check on her.

“I was merely telling her to be careful as I have heard a lot of unpleasant info from outside.

“I have no reason to tarnish his name or career, as yesterday (July 10) as a Perak MCA committee member, I had issued a statement asking the police to give a press conference on the issue to prevent speculation,” he added. case.

Meanwhile Malim Nawar assemblyman Leong Cheok Keng, who is also acting as Yong's lawyer, said his client would carry out his duties as normal despite calls for his suspension.

He said everyone was presumed innocent until proven guilty, so there was no reason for Yong to step down or be suspended.

"Rape is easy to allege but difficult to rebut.

"As a lawyer I am looking at hard evidence, alibi and time witnesses," he said adding that Yong had a strong alibi.

Leong claimed that at the time of the alleged crime, there were other people in Yong's house, including family members.

Related stories:

Suspend implicated Perak exco man until rape investigation complete, says Perak PAS Youth

Rape accused maintains innocence

LGE: Any action in Paul Yong rape allegation to be taken after police probe

Perak exco member Paul Yong says shocked and baffled by rape allegation

Case probed under rape, Perak exco member out on bail

Wanita MCA: Paul Yong must go on leave or be suspended


   

Across The Star Online