KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor, and not Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz, is Barisan Nasional's secretary-general, says Barisan deputy chairman Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan.
He said this was because the coalition's by-laws stated that any decision must get the consensus of all the component parties.
"Tengku Adnan is still the secretary-general. He has not resigned.
"He has agreed to continue to be the secretary-general until he decides to resign or when he is replaced," said Mohamad in a press conference on Friday after the Barisan supreme council meeting today.
He added that the appointment of Umno's Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz was not formalised or agreed upon by the component parties.
Previously, MCA and MIC had described Nazri's appointment as Barisan’s secretary-general as illegal and not recognised by the two parties.
The two parties also said the uncalled for racial remarks by Nazri in Semenyih had further damaged the ties between the three founding parties.
During the Semenyih by-election campaign, Nazri said non-Malays should not question Malay privileges, as the non-Malays also enjoyed special privileges such as vernacular schools.
Nazri also questioned the appointment of non-Malays as Attorney General, Chief Justice and Finance Minister, adding said that Malay rights should be defended at all costs.
After the backlash that followed his speech, Nazri held a press conference denying that he wanted vernacular schools to be shut down.
Nazri is currently under probe for sedition over his remarks.
Did you find this article insightful?