SEMENYIH: Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia Youth chief Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman claims he was almost assaulted by Barisan Nasional supporters after nominations for the Semenyih by-election.
The incident was said to have occurred at 11.05am on Saturday (Feb 16) when he was walking back to his car after the candidates for the by-election had been announced.
One of his officers, who was with him, said that at first the Barisan supporters had merely jeered at him.
"However, they started coming towards us and got too close.
"His officers had to step in to block them, and some policemen also had to step in.
"They weren't just provoking him, they looked like they wanted to attack," he said.
The officer also claimed that some in the crowd had shoved the plainclothes policemen who had intervened.
"Perhaps they did not know that they were policemen," he said.
He said, however, that no one managed to physically harm the Youth and Sports Minister.
A video on Syed Saddiq's Twitter account showed him being accompanied by policemen to his car, with a crowd of Barisan supporters following along.
— #TeamSaddiq (@teamsaddiq) 16 February 2019
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!