Factory worker identifies gunman

  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 16 Oct 2018

GEORGE TOWN: A factory worker told a High Court that bodyguard Ja’afar Halid was the man who shot him near the Penang Bridge intersection of the Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu Expressway two years ago.

Lee Hong Boon, 58, pointed to Ja’afar, who was clad in a black shirt seated in the dock, before telling the court that Ja’afar was the man who shot him on his left shoulder.

“I was driving home towards the Penang Bridge when I noticed him (Ja’afar) standing near a crashed car. He stopped me and asked me to get off my motorcycle.

“He said ‘turun, turun, turun’ (get down) three times with the gun pointed at my head.

“We were standing about five feet from each other.

“I was shocked and raised both my hands,” he said, adding that he removed his helmet after being told to do so by Ja’afar.

“I then took two steps back, ho­­ping I could escape but he shot me. It all happened within seconds,” he said during examination-in-chief by senior DPP Emma Syafawati Abdul Wahab in the trial of Ja’afar, 39, who claimed trial to murdering his boss, businessman Datuk Ong Teik Kwon, professional clown Choi Hon Ming and flower supplier M. Sen­thil.

He allegedly committed the offence at the expressway between 7.15pm and 7.30pm on Dec 1, 2016.

Ja’afar faces the mandatory death penalty if convicted of murder.

He also claimed trial to the at­­tempted murder of Lee, RTM vi­deographer Mohamad Amirul Amin Mohamed Amer, Dr K. Arivarni, TNB Bhd assistant manager Nurul Huda Ab Aziz and bank worker Puoh Bee Joo.

He can be jailed up to 20 years if found guilty of the offence.

During cross-examination by de­­fence counsel Y. Anbananthan, Lee said that Ja’afar did not raise his voice and sounded normal.

“I did not think he would shoot me. I heard a gunshot and then realised I had been shot,” he said.

He also told the court that he did not file a police report about what happened as he was hospitalised after the shooting.

Cardiac surgeon at the Penang Hospital Dr Francis Gerard Lopez testified that Mohamad Amirul, who was shot in the chest, would have probably died if he had not been operated on immediately.

“Mohamad Amirul sustained two injuries, two circular wounds on his chest and back due to a foreign object penetrating through him.

“There was an entry wound on his chest and an exit wound on his back.

“If the operation had not been performed immediately, he would have continued to bleed and his breathing would have been affected resulting in probable death,” he said, adding that Mohamad Amirul also sustained fractured ribs.

Maintenance supervisor Azizan Saad, 45, who escaped being shot, said he saw a man standing in the middle of the road at the expressway, facing towards the Penang Bridge.

“He then turned and looked at me and pointed the gun at me.

“I sped off in fear but as I was on the bridge I could hear five or six gunshots,” he said during examination-in-chief.

Hearing continues today before Judicial Commissioner Datuk Abdul Wahab Mohamed.

Meanwhile, Justice Hadhariah Syed Ismail set April 15 to 19 next year for the hearing of Mohamad Amirul’s civil suit against Ja’afar and Ja’afar’s employer GMP Kaisar Security (M) Sdn Bhd.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Across The Star Online