Surgeon tells High Court videographer would have bled to death from gunshot

  • Nation
  • Monday, 15 Oct 2018

GEORGE TOWN: A cardiac surgeon told the High Court that if RTM videographer Mohamad Amirul Amin Mohamed Amer, who was shot in the chest, had not had surgery he would have probably died from his injuries.

Dr Francis Gerard Lopez said Mohamad Amirul sustained two injuries, circular wounds on his chest and back due to a foreign object penetrating through him.

"There was an entry wound on his chest and an exit wound on his back. If the operation had not been performed immediately, he would have continued to bleed and his breathing would have continued to be affected resulting in probable death.

"From the X-ray, CT scan and findings during the operations, the object was no longer in the victim.

"He also sustained fractures to his ribs," he said during examination-in-chief by senior DPP Emma Syafawati Abdul Wahab on Monday (Oct 15).

Meanwhile, factory worker Lee Hong Boon, 58, said that bodyguard Ja'afar Halid stopped Lee's motorcycle and pointed the gun at him before shooting him in his left shoulder.

"I was driving home when he (Ja'afar) stopped me and asked me to get off my motorcycle.

"He said 'turun, turun, turun' three times with the gun pointed at me. He then told me to remove my helmet.

"I removed it and raised my hands in fear. I then took two steps back and he shot me. I then ran about 30ft before hiding behind a tree," he said during examination-in-chief.

Lee then identified Ja'afar as the shooter when he was asked if the man who shot him was present in the court room.

During cross-examination by defence counsel Y. Anbananthan, Lee, 58, said Ja'afar looked fierce but had a bit of a smile.

"He did not raise his voice and sounded normal. We did not argue and I followed his instructions.

"I heard a gun shot and realised I had been shot," he said.

When asked if he believed Ja'afar behaved like he was crazy, Lee agreed that he behaved like a crazy person.

Dr Francis and Lee were testifying in the trial of bodyguard Ja'afar, 39, who claimed trial to murdering his boss, businessman Datuk Ong Teik Kwon, professional clown Choi Hon Ming and flower supplier M. Senthil.

The incident happened at the Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu Expressway between 7.15pm and 7.30pm near the Penang Bridge intersection of the expressway on Dec 1, 2016.

He faces the mandatory death penalty if convicted of murder.

He also claimed trial to the attempted murder of Dr K. Arivarni, TNB Bhd assistant manager Nurul Huda Ab Aziz, Lee, Mohamad Amirul and Puoh.

He can be jailed up to 20 years if convicted for attempted murder.

The hearing will continue on Tuesday (Oct 16) before Judicial Commissioner Datuk Abdul Wahab Mohamed.



Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Across The Star Online