Transport Ministry: No discounts or exemptions for AES compounds from September


Anthony Loke. -Bernama filepic

PETALING JAYA: No discounts or exemptions will be given for compounds issued for offences under the Automated Enforcement System (AES), starting Sept 1.

In a statement issued on Monday (Sept 3), Transport Minister Anthony Loke said those issued AES compounds are given a 60-day period to pay their RM300 fine.

“Offenders who do not clear their compound payments would be charged in court. If they fail to show up, they will be blacklisted from engaging in any transaction involving the Road Transport Department (JPJ) until the case is cleared,” he said.

He added that traffic offenders under the AES would also be imposed demerit points.

A traffic offender who reaches his first 20 demerit points would be issued a warning and for the next 20 points, one’s licence may be suspended or even revoked.

Loke’s statement follows as JPJ takes over the Automated Awareness Safety System (AWAS) starting this month.

AWAS is a combination of the AES and the demerit point system (Kejara).

Loke had earlier announced that the JPJ would take over the full operations of the AES as its compound payments were going to the two concessionaires, ATES Sdn Bhd and Beta Tegap Sdn Bhd.

Meanwhile, Loke told The Edge Markets that the Transport Ministry is considering putting in place a system in which drivers with a good track record would be rewarded with vehicles insurance discount.

He reportedly said the ministry would begin discussions with the General Insurance Association of Malaysia (PIAM) on the matter shortly.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Selangor Sultan receives RM11.47mil in business tithe contributions
Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar
More than a gimmick, 'roti pocong' a hit at Paroi Ramadan bazaar
Melaka assembly may dissolve in April, state poll expected in June

Others Also Read