KK mosque bans tourists after ‘dancing queens’ incident


  • Nation
  • Monday, 25 Jun 2018

KOTA KINABALU: Tourists are not allowed to visit the city mosque for the time being.

This ban came following a viral video clip showing two women, believed to be tourists, dancing and acting “disrespectfully” in front of the iconic building, which is a popular tourist spot.

City mosque chairman Datuk Jamal Sakaran said that the action of the two women was “regret­­-table” as tourists had been briefed on the do’s and don’ts at the mos­que.

“We opened our doors to visitors because we want to introduce and let the people know the beauty of Islam, but such action has tarnished the image of our religion,” Jamal said.

“On a normal day, the mosque received between 500 and 1,000 vi­sitors and the management provided special tour guides, robes, baju kurung, headscarves and ­kopiah for them.

“But there were still some who do not show respect.

“Our immediate action is to close the mosque to visitors.

“All express buses, Grab cars and taxis are not allowed to bring ­tourists into the compound or park their vehicles in the area.”

Jamal added that only taxis registered with the mosque management were allowed to bring in visitors.

He said the mosque management would also rope in more Rela members for security.

“We will hold a discussion with tourism players to prevent such incidents,” he said.

The video clip, which went viral on social media, is believed to have been recorded by a man who could be heard saying: “Kenapa la dia tidak tumbang?” (Why doesn’t she fall?).

Netizens are calling the authorities to investigate the incident and to come up with regulations to prevent such disrespectful acts, especially at houses of worship.

A non-governmental religious body, Pertubuhan Penyatuan Islam Sabah, has lodged a police report.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

utilities , bureaus

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Man suffers injury in paragliding mishap in Kangar
MACC detains plantation manager for allegedly misappropriating RM20k
Cradle Fund murder trial: Cops seized soot-covered plastic bag containing SIM card, says witness
Bosses who fail to screen foreign workers for Covid-19 will be compounded, says Masidi
Teen arrested for alleged break-in at restaurant in Kulai
Warisan to invoke pre-signed resignation letter for Sebatik rep to vacate seat
Covid-19: Seven new clusters, five linked to workplaces, another to an aged care home in Sentul
Businessman acquitted of drug possession charge
Muhyiddin gets interim injunction against Puad Zarkashi over alleged defamatory statements
Covid-19: Cases drop below 2k mark again with 1,828 infections, Johor tops the list

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers