Anwar: I can’t contest but 'Kajang move' still on


  • Nation
  • Friday, 07 Mar 2014

KUALA LUMPUR: Opposition Leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has vowed that the 'Kajang move' will not be derailed despite being unable to contest as a candidate there.

Speaking to reporters outside his house in Segambut Dalam on Friday, Anwar said he would continue to play a role in Selangor.

"I cannot contest, (but) I will ensure with my colleagues in Pakatan Rakyat that the Kajang move will not be derailed.

"It does not matter who is going to contest; they will contest in the name of Pakatan who will continue to build up Selangor," said Anwar, who looked tired, but remained in good spirits.

Anwar was on his way to Kajang to meet fellow Pakatan leaders to decide on the next course of action for the Kajang by-election.

Asked if he had anyone in mind, Anwar said he would have to discuss with other Pakatan leaders to reach a consensus.

Earlier on Friday, Anwar was sentenced to five years' jail by the Court of Appeal, which found him guilty of sodomising his former aide Mohd Saiful Bukhari Azlan in 2008.

Justice Balia Yusof Wahi, who led a three-man panel in hearing the prosecution's appeal in the case, granted Anwar's application for a stay of execution of the sentence pending appeal, with bail of RM10,000 with one surety.

Justice Balia ordered Anwar to pay the bail before 11am on Monday.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site