PETALING JAYA: The police are working with the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) to find the culprit responsible for illegally uploading KL Gangster 2 onto YouTube before its scheduled screening on Oct 3.
Federal Commercial Crimes Investigation Department director Comm Datuk Syed Ismail Syed Azizan said the film’s producer KL Gangster 2 Datuk Yusof Haslam has already cooperated by coming to department on Monday.
“We will assist the MCMC with the investigation. We aim to find the one responsible for uploading the film on Youtube,” he told a press conference in Bukit Perdana on Wednesday.
Comm Syed Ismail said police are also aware that pirated DVDs of the film have been sold in certain outlets in the city.
“We will not rest until those responsible are brought to justice,” he said.
It was previously reported that Yusof would take legal action against the person responsible
Yusof said he and his son Syamsul, the director of the film, were gathering evidence to be handed over to the police.
Yusof and Syamsul lodged a report at the Taman Melawati police station last Wednesday after 70% of the film was uploaded on YouTube.
They said they were outraged by the illegal upload, which could result in substantial losses in revenue.
The film was delayed by two years because of editing, which became a bone of contention between Yusof and Syamsul.
Yusof said it was common for him and his son to disagree but that had nothing to do with the incident.
KL Gangster 2 is the sequel to the box-office hit KL Gangster which grossed RM12mil in box-office takings.