MORE than 2,000 chefs and culinary professionals from around the world are expected to gather in Penang for the 20th Battle of the Chefs (BOTC) in October.
The four-day competition, to be held at Setia SPICE Arena from Oct 21 to 24, will feature more than 90 competition classes judged by over 100 Worldchefs-certified judges from more than 20 countries.
BOTC organising chairman chef Audee Cheah said more than 500 participants from 10 countries had registered for the competition so far.

Cheah, who is also Penang Chefs Association president, said the event was expected to draw more than 30,000 trade visitors and consumers.
It will be held alongside the Malaysia Culinary Summit & Expo 2026, which includes the International Gourmet Expo and Asia Food Festival.
Organised by the Penang Chefs Association, BOTC has grown from a local competition first held in 1988 into an international culinary event recognised by Worldchefs as a Continental Culinary Competition.
Cheah said the milestone edition would provide an opportunity for chefs from different countries to exchange knowledge and experience.
“The 20th edition of Battle of the Chefs is more than a competition – it is a celebration of culinary excellence, international friendship and the passion that unites chefs across the world.
“Over the past 38 years, BOTC has helped shape thousands of culinary careers and inspired generations of young chefs,” he said at a press conference.
Competitors will compete for more than RM100,000 in prizes, medals and trophies.
A new highlight this year is the Chef Otto Weibel Trophy, named after the renowned culinary educator and international judge.
The trophy will recognise finalists for their craftsmanship, innovation, professionalism and technical skills.
Registration remains open until Sept 20.
“Several competition categories are already nearing capacity,” Cheah said.
Penang tourism and creative economy committee chairman Wong Hon Wai said the state government fully supported the event, which would further strengthen Penang’s position as a food destination.
“Penang is the food capital of Asia and we are expecting many internationally established chefs to come here,” he said.
Wong said the Malaysia Culinary Summit & Expo 2026 would be among the country’s largest hospitality gatherings, featuring three signature events under one roof.
He said the event would not only showcase culinary excellence but also promote Penang’s food heritage and hospitality industry to an international audience.
For more information, visit www.asiaculinarychallenge.com or battleofthechefs.com.my.
