Padang Merbok reopens to the public


Photo: LEONG WAI YEE/The Star

PADANG Merbok has been reopened to the public since the field was fenced up in 2022.

Minister in the Prime Minister's Department (Federal Territories) Hannah Yeoh announced that Kuala Lumpur City Hall had removed the fence installed at the field’s perimeter on Jan 14.

“The public can now access the field.

“The field was fenced up around August 2022 under the previous Perikatan Nasional administration following a protest held there.

“The Madani government is correcting what is wrong and we begin by returning Padang Merbok to the public,” she said during a site visit to the field. 

Previously, StarMetro reported in 2022 that Yeoh and Lembah Pantai MP had protested the fencing up of the field.

In the report, DBKL was quoted as saying that fencing off the area was to facilitate field upgrades.

Also present were Lembah Pantai MP Datuk Fahmi Fadzil.

“We will ensure the city has more open spaces for public and recreational use at little to no cost.

“We could hold public screening events at the field,” Fahmi said.

During the site visit, a portion of the field was cordoned off for the construction of an underground retention pond. 

Completion is expected in March 2027. 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Padang Merbok , reopen , field , Hannah Yeoh

Next In Metro News

MRR2 safety concerns resurface
Traffic dispersal, junction upgrades to reduce congestion ahead of RTS Link operations
MBSJ should have service report cards
Measures to keep traffic moving in Penang
No sense of security in Selangor even after 18 years
Pulau Tikus ‘Forrest Gump’ benches offer respite
Strong turnout at KL financing session for women entrepreneurs�
12 solar street lamps boost security at Taman Sejahtera flats in KL
Sisters pay tax for new home, win car
Mission to save bees in cities, create safe spaces for them

Others Also Read