Outrage over loss of Bohol pond


Stakeholders are outraged that land reserved as a retention pond in Kuala Lumpur has been proposed for revocation.

Residents near the Bohol flood retention pond in Seputeh said the proposed cancellation of the reservation went against the government’s word not to permit development in environmentally sensitive areas in the city which were prone to floods.

Despite the government’s previous commitment to scrap the land deal last year, following opposition from local residents, stakeholders and lawmakers, it is pushing ahead with its plans to revoke the status of the land for public use.

The Attorney General’s Chambers published a notice in the Federal Government Gazette on May 8, announcing the proposed revocation of the land reservation for public purposes under Section 64 (2) of the National Land Code (Act 828) for Lot 35309 measuring 24.79ha.

It was signed by the Chief Secretary to the Government Tan Sri Mohd Zuki Ali.

ALSO READ: Rising calls for answers over KL Bohol pond plan

Originally designated for flood mitigation and officially gazetted on Nov 4, 2010, StarMetro had reported that the government aimed to develop the surrounding area for residential purposes.

An enquiry will be held in relation to the proposed revocation on May 20 from 9am to 4pm at the Federal Territory Office of the director of Lands and Mines on the second floor of Federal House in Jalan Sultan Hishamuddin, Kuala Lumpur.

Any person who desires to object against the proposed revocation may attend.

When contacted, Save Kuala Lumpur (SKL) coalition chairman Datuk M. Ali expressed shock and disappointment at the news.

StarMetro’s report on April 29.StarMetro’s report on April 29.

He affirmed the group’s commitment to continuing the fight to preserve the flood retention pond.

ALSO READ: Bohol pond in peril again with new development plan

“We will seek Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim’s intervention regarding this issue.

“This contradicts the promises and commitments made by the government,” he said.

Kinrara resident Chin Choong Men described the decision as a nightmare.

“We fought to preserve the pond for decades and finally the government gazetted it over 10 years ago; now they want to degazette it for a housing project.

“We will assemble a team and prepare a press statement to raise our objections,” he added.

Kuala Lumpur resident Rishikumar Vadivelu said urgent action was required to halt development plans around the pond, which had been a crucial natural barrier against flash floods.

Kok is waiting for clarification from the chief secretary.Kok is waiting for clarification from the chief secretary.

“We urge the Prime Minister to stop this project and all Klang Valley residents to make their voices heard, to preserve this vital ecosystem,” said Rishikumar.

He said saving the Bohol flood retention pond could protect their homes and livelihood from future floods.

ALSO READ: KL MPs object to proposed development at Kg Bohol flood retention pond area

Seputeh MP Teresa Kok said she was surprised to view the government gazette notice.

She had sought Mohd Zuki’s clarification on the matter as the Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur Land Executive Committee chairman.

“I want him to respond; we are still waiting for an answer,” she said.

StarMetro had revealed the development plans in its April 29 report, “Bohol pond in peril again with new development plan.”

Ali says they will ask the PM to intervene in the issue.Ali says they will ask the PM to intervene in the issue.

It stated that a tender notice by Kuala Lumpur Lands and Mines Office (PTGWP) called for bids to design and upgrade the 63.45ha Bohol flood retention pond for alienation under Section 76 of the National Land Code.

PTGWP published the tender notice on its website, inviting companies to submit proposals for the project, which also includes the construction of housing units.

The tender opened on Jan 26 and closed on Feb 16.

PTGWP sources said a developer had already been identified for the project and that six plots of land totalling 10.85ha were being alienated for the residential project.

When contacted, a PTGWP spokesperson said the revocation announcement of the existing reservation for the Bohol flood retention pond was to allow for the regazettement of the pond with a larger size.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

ptgwp , dbkl , jps , flood retention pond , flash floods , kl ,

   

Next In Metro News

Rapid KL introduces MyCity two-day pass
Lesser known varieties a hit with durian lovers
Selangor’s aviation show expected to generate RM1.3bil
Popular staples with global appeal
Nearly 500 nation-building initiatives for youths
Comforting chilli con carne
Mobile app for road-related complaints
Pawsome fun at pets carnival
Culinary meet promotes Malaysian cuisine among nearly 500 international participants
We are not just ‘lain-lain’

Others Also Read