SABAK BERNAM: The government aims to close 300 illegal dumping sites nationwide by the end of this year, says Nga Kor Ming.
The Local Government Development Minister said this was important as such sites pose a danger to the environment.
He also said that the ministry had already shut down 128 illegal dumpsites, surpassing its initial target of 100.
"We intend to close 300 illegal waste disposal sites this year, particularly in Selangor which has many industrial areas.
"We will not compromise on cleanliness or nature," he said during a press conference on Wednesday (May 31) after conducting a work tour around Sekinchan town.
He said to minimise illegal dumping, discussions would be held with the Selangor state government about implementing the Solid Waste Management and Public Cleansing Act 2007.
He said this mainly involved contractors appointed for waste disposal.
Meanwhile, Nga said The Fire and Rescue Department's preparedness was at peak level due to the hot weather.
"This year, the ministry received an additional allocation of RM46.15mil, specifically for the Fire and Rescue Department to purchase new equipment," he said.
Nga also announced nine projects in the area at a cost of RM2.52mil.
These included the installation of LED billboards on Sekinchan Street, upgrading the drainage system along Annam Road, replacing shop roofs, among others.