Spruced-up park along Sg Klang


Pengkalan Batu Urban River Park at Jalan Tepi Sungai, Klang is a public space that encourages relaxation and interaction among residents. — AZHAR MAHFOF/The Star

Pengkalan Batu Urban River Park at Jalan Tepi Sungai, Klang has been refurbished and it is now a relaxing area for people of all ages.

Situated along Sungai Klang, the park features a 0.25ha main plaza for walking, fitness activities or picnicking as well as a 0.13ha educational wetland.

Prior to this, a crumbling old park dotted with gazebos occupied the place.

Selangor Maritime Gateway (SMG), which was appointed as master developer by Selangor government to implement key activities in the rejuvenation of Sungai Klang, handles the upgrade and management of the river park.

This urban river park is the first phase of the overall upgrading works that will also offer potential development along the river.

In addition, the developer cleaned up the river and the water quality index has shown marked improvement, from Class V (contaminated and dangerous) to Class III (moderately good).

Among the positive signs of improved water quality are sightings of crocodiles in Sungai Klang.

Klang Municipal Council (MPK) president Dr Ahmad Fadzli Ahmad Tajuddin said the river park was a beautiful idea to reconnect people with the river and it integrated several artificial ponds which acted as a natural filter using organic plant material.

“Because of the Covid-19 pandemic, the park is closed to the public but MPK hopes in the near future, it will be a venue for locals to enjoy the river view, children to run about and have a good time at the playground, ” he said.

Fadzli added that once the park is open to public, it would become an integral part of the day-to-day life of people living around the area and offer a picturesque riverside experience.

According to SMG’s website, it uses a Dutch design rubbish interceptor to remove plastic waste and other floating debris from the river.

Since 2016, some 65,000 tonnes of rubbish have been removed from the river, with 51% made up of plastic bottles, glass bottles, aluminium cans, plastic bags and other materials with the remaining 49% organic waste comprising mainly vegetation such as tree branches, grass and aquatic plants.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Metro News

Elevating residents’ living condition
Funds to help institutions provide a good learning environment
Aiming to give more laptops to needy kids
Marvellous digital realm
Keeping children active with traditional games
Taman Intan Baiduri bridges in need of urgent repairs
New rules for micromobility vehicles
A touching tribute to mothers
Traders happy with June 1 relocation
Sibu market to close again for four days

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers