War on dengue menace


  • Metro News
  • Saturday, 04 Jul 2020

Vidyananthan (second from left) handing over the invalidity pension to Pathmanathan at his house.

JOHOR BARU: The state government will focus on fighting the dengue menace in the state, especially in Johor Baru that has recorded more than 4,000 cases from January to June.

Johor health and environment committee chairman R. Vidyananthan said the government was finalising a state-wide awareness campaign which aimed to create more awareness on dengue and measures for people to safeguard themselves.

“During the movement control order imposed due to the Covid-19 threat, the people adhered to standard operating procedures and regulations put in place to prevent infections.

“Dengue is another serious threat and the people must help themselves to avoid becoming victims. They can do so by keeping their premises, both inside and outside, clean and free of water-filled containers and clogged drains.

“The people must be the frontliners in this battle against dengue and the programmes lined up in the campaign will help, ” said Vidyananthan after visiting A. Pathmanathan, 50, in Taman Scientex, Pasir Gudang here to hand over RM1,447 as Social Security Organisation (Socso) invalidity pension.

“The 4,000 cases is alarming.

‘The people must be cautious and ensure the campaign is a success for their own good, ” he said.

On the Japanese encephalitis (JE) infection reported in Pontian, Vidyananthan said it was an isolated case.“The 390 people screened were found to be free of JE symptoms, ” he said.

Johor Health Department director Dr Aman Rabu was reported as saying a Bangladeshi man was admitted to Sultanah Aminah Hospital (HSA) here on May 21 due to fever and signs of infection of the brain.

It was said the patient was treated for meningoencephalitis and discharged on June 3.

On Pathmanathan, Vidyanan-than said the recipient was diagnosed with diabetes and had been undergoing dialysis since March this year

“He lives with his wife P. Kana-gambigai, 41, who suffers from blurred vision. They have two sons, Sharuveswaran, eight and Yatish-waran, six.

“The state government will help the family get monthly aid and find them work which they can do from home to get some income, ” added Vidyananthan.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site