Project grounded for now


Chow leading a state delegation to check on the airport’s compliance rate. — Photo taken from Chow’s Facebook page

THE Penang International Airport expansion project scheduled to begin in June may be postponed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB) was waiting for further instructions from relevant parties on the status of the project.

He said although the Penang Island City Council had given the green light, this was not a suitable time to begin the project because if the pandemic continues, the airport will not be optimally used.

“So the management must consider if the airport expansion is beneficial or not.

“The state was informed that a clear decision on the matter may be made within six months to one year from now,” he said in a posting on his personal Facebook account.

Earlier, Chow led a state delegation on a visit to the airport in Bayan Lepas to check on the compliance with the standard operating procedures (SOP) relating to Covid-19 there.

Chow said the pandemic had also affected other aspects of the airport, especially the target volume of passengers which was supposed to reach 8.5 million this year.

“The airline and tourism sectors are clearly very affected by Covid-19.

“Flights have been stopped and the ban on flights is not just for Malaysia but almost the whole world.

“I hope all parties, including the Federal Government, state government and industry players can come together to face this challenge together.

“We have to persevere until the situation recovers fully,” he said.

The expansion project for the airport, estimated to cost RM800 million, was approved by the council on Dec 3 last year and was to be implemented in four stages comprising five construction packages.

The project will enable the airport to cater to up to 12 million passengers compared to the current capacity of 6.5 million. — Bernama
Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Metro News

Residents raise objection over telco tower located next to playground
Covid-19: Those who want Selangor govt's free booster jab need to make appointment via Selangkah app
Help pandemic-hit businesses recover instead of piling more burdens on them, govt told
PJD Link developer must comply with all terms in agreement with Selangor before approval is given, says exco man
Promising days ahead
Contractor for new integrated solid waste management centre to be appointed next year
Initiatives and support for p-hailing, e-hailing workers
‘Book appointment for vaccine booster shot’
Travellers to JB hit travel scheme limit
Johor-S’pore trade ties date back centuries

Others Also Read


Vouchers