PROPRIETORS of businesses facing Jalan Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur, have been told the flood mitigation project near the Bangsar LRT station will be completed by Aug 16.The new deadline is the fourth extension given by Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) to contractors since the project started on Jan 8 last year.
“The project was supposed to be completed by June 10 last year. However, it was delayed and an extension was given until Sept 8 of that year,” said Michael Simon, a business owner in the area.
“A Feb 5 deadline was given this year for its completion,” he said.
However, the project was abandoned for several months due to problems with underground pipes.
“We hope everything will be completed by Aug 16 and things will return to normal,” added Michael.
The delay in the RM2.4mil project has caused several businesses in the area to suffer loss of revenue and property damage.
The situation was made worse when a flash flood in November last year, submerged cars and motorcycles after drains at the construction site was clogged with silt and debris.
StarMetro earlier reported that the presence of a Syarikat Bekalan Air Selangor (Syabas) pipe running underneath the project site caused the delay.
DBKL executive director (project management) Datuk Mohd Najib Mohd said the flood mitigation work had to be pushed back several times because of the pipe, and this was beyond their control.
However, he instructed the project contractor to clean up the area and solve the water ponding issues at the site, and this was done two months ago.
When StarMetro visited on Thursday, contractors were seen working at the site to complete the project.
“We are confident that we can finish on time,” said the contractor who wanted to remain anonymous.
Business owner S.K. Tan said the fact that work is progressing was a good sign as there were days when no work was done at the site.
“We are keeping our fingers crossed that it will be on schedule,” he said.