Resident loses sleep over crash-prone home


  • Metro News
  • Tuesday, 21 Nov 2017

Wong showing the pillar he placed as a barrier which proved futile as cars still rammed through it.

FOR the past three years, trader Sam Wong and his family have been unable to sleep in peace at night.

This is because whenever vehicles fail to negotiate a bend near his house in Jalan Kledang, Menglembu, they crash right into the wall of his house.

Wong, 50, said seven major accidents had occurred since 2014, with the latest one on Thursday last week.

He was also constantly worried for the safety of his 75-year-old mother, who often does gardening in the compound.

Wong said one of the accidents caused the wall to collapse and he had to fork out about RM13,000 to repair it.

“Fortunately, the driver who knocked into my house later paid the amount, but in most cases, the drivers do not compensate for the damage caused.

“Last week, a vehicle knocked my car which parked outside my house at about 1.30am and the driver fled the scene,” he said when met at his home.

With him was Parti Sosialis Malaysia Batu Gajah co-ordinator K. Segar.

 

Wong said he had been staying in the house for the past 30 years, but the accidents started happening about three years ago when vehicles began taking the route after exiting the Ipoh-Lumut Highway.

He said some 1,000 vehicles used the road daily, adding that he even placed “barriers” such as his car and an old pillar, in hopes that the oncoming vehicles would slow down.

“But these measures proved futile, as both my car and the pillar were rammed into.

“I have lodged seven police reports over the matter and have complained to the Ipoh City Council as well.

“The council wrote to me in September, saying that they would construct a hump, place signage, and improve lighting in the area, but all this will only be done next year,” he said.

Given the frequency of accidents, Wong could not understand why the council could not take action immediately.

“This is not just about my family or my house.

“It is about the safety of the people walking, driving and living in the vicinity,” he added.

Segar said he had written to the council requesting them to carry out the works promised immediately, and not wait until next year.

“We will wait two weeks for their reply, and if we do not hear from them, we have no choice but to meet with the mayor,” he added.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site