NEW DELHI: The son of Jana Sena Party MP Lingamaneni Ramesh has been granted station bail after an Aston Martin allegedly driven by him hit and killed a 26-year-old woman outside Hyderabad’s Inorbit Mall, police said.
Lingamaneni Sanjush was also served a notice under Section 35(3) of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS) as part of the investigation. The Aug 16 crash killed Bharati Mukhi, who worked at the Lifestyle store in the mall.
The police action has since drawn a political attack from the YSRCP. Party national spokesperson Karthik Yellapragada alleged that the incident had been covered up and questioned why there had been little public discussion of the case for five days.
Hyderabad Police serve BNSS notice, grant station bail
A Madhapur police official confirmed that Sanjush had been served the notice and given station bail.
“We have served a 35(3) BNSS, notice and given station bail to Lingamaneni Sanjush in connection with the accident as part of the investigation,” the official said.
The fatal collision took place at about 3pm on Aug 16 in front of Inorbit Mall in Madhapur.
Police said Bharati and her colleague Pooja Ashok had gone towards ITC Kohenur to collect meals. They were returning to the mall when Bharati was hit while crossing the road.
According to police, the car was allegedly being driven at high speed and in a rash and negligent manner.
Bharati suffered a severe head injury and was taken to Apollo Hospital in Jubilee Hills. She was declared dead by the doctor on duty.
A case was subsequently registered at Madhapur Police Station under Section 106(1) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS).
Alcohol, drug tests conducted; Aston Martin seized
Police said investigators identified Sanjush as the person allegedly driving the vehicle when the crash occurred.
The 21-year-old was apprehended the same day, according to the police account. A drunk-driving test and a drug test were conducted.
His blood samples were also collected and sent to the Forensic Science Laboratory for examination.
Police have seized the vehicle involved in the crash. The investigation remains underway, with investigators collecting the PME report.
YSRCP alleges case was kept quiet for five days
The case has now taken a political turn, with Yellapragada accusing police of covering up the incident.
“There has been an FIR was registered on Aug 16 against Lingamaneni’s son, who allegedly ran over a woman in an accident. Unfortunately, she is no more. It has been five days since the case was registered, but no one has discussed the issue or given any statements. They have kept quiet because the understanding between Revanth Reddy and Chandrababu Naidu is very clear,” Yellapragada said.
The allegation has not been substantiated in the material available with this report.
Yellapragada also demanded “immediate justice” and questioned whether different standards were being applied in the case. - The Statesman/ANN
