Schools closed for over a year due to fighting in Myanmar's Myawaddy district prepared for reopening


YANGON: Authorities and local security forces are making preparations to reopen two schools in Kwin Kalay (Noh Poe) village after they had remained closed for more than a year because of armed conflict in the area.

According to local reports, township education officials and Border Guard Force commander Brigadier General Saw Motthone visited the village on May 20 to oversee reopening efforts for the post-primary school and the affiliated middle school branch.

The schools had been shut down for an extended period due to regional clashes. Some school buildings were also reportedly damaged after being hit by artillery shell explosions during the fighting.

Cleanup and restoration work at the Inner Kwin Kalay post-primary school was carried out jointly by members of the Kayin State Border Guard Force, Myanmar military personnel and local villagers.

Brigadier General Saw Motthone personally visited the site, while operations were led by Major Saw Htoo and Major Montaine along with other personnel.

Residents and authorities are now working to clear debris, damaged materials and waste from the school compound in an effort to resume classes during the current academic year.

The Karen State Border Guard Force, Brigadier General Saw Motthone, will be responsible for the renovation of post-primary schools and secondary schools.

The schools will be opened in June for the 2026/2027 academic year, and assistance will be provided to provide textbooks and teaching aids, said Moe Kyaw, Township Education Officer of Myawaddy Township.

Out of the total (115) schools in Myawaddy District, there are some schools that are still unable to reopen due to the situation.

In the 2026/2027 academic year, it is expected that up to (75) schools, including middle school branches and post-primary schools, will be opened. - Eleven Media/ANN

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Multilateral, bilateral FTAs expand Cambodia's market access, deepen integration: minister
Vance says Iran talks making ‘good progress’, but US forces remain ‘locked and loaded’
Prisons Dept allows family visits for Aidiladha on May 29-30
Laos advances national strategy to eliminate child labour
Govt assures 85% of consumers protected from power tariff hikes
Only four of Hong Kong’s 110,000 subdivided homes put up for seal of approval
Singer JJ Lin attends girlfriend’s graduation ceremony in New York
US$80bil for deployment as Southeast Asia's green economy enters a new calculus
As war engulfs the Middle East, China’s Xinjiang is thriving with future tech
Senior Citizens Bill timely as life expectancy, challenges of ageing increase, says Lam Thye

Others Also Read