Indonesian President Prabowo says new fighter jets herald new age for his country's defensive abilities


JAKARTA (AFP) - Indonesia will continue boosting its defence capabilities, President Prabowo Subianto said Monday, citing uncertain times as he presented new military hardware, including six French-made Rafale jets, to the air force.

The South-East Asian nation, which pursues a policy of diplomatic non-alignment, must "continue to improve our defence capabilities to serve as a deterrent", Prabowo told reporters at a ceremony at a military air base in Jakarta.

He said Indonesia does "not have any interests other than protecting our own territory".

"We observe that the global geopolitical landscape is fraught with uncertainty, and we recognise that defence is a primary prerequisite for stability," he added.

Prabowo inspected defence equipment recently procured for the Indonesian military, including four Dassault Falcon 8X jets and an Airbus A400M Atlas transport aircraft, according to a presidential palace statement.

Jakarta signed an US$8.1 billion deal in 2022 under then-defence minister Prabowo to purchase 42 French-made Rafale fighters. Six of the jets have been delivered so far -- three in January and another three on Monday, defence ministry spokesman Rico Ricardo Sirait told AFP.

"The government views the strengthening of defence equipment not merely as the procurement of combat platforms, but as a strategic investment aimed at safeguarding sovereignty, national honour and national defence readiness," Rico said.

Prabowo, a former military general who came to power in 2024, has sought to modernise Indonesia's ageing military assets.

He met French President Emmanuel Macron last month in Paris, where the leaders discussed bolstering strategic cooperation, including through the "procurement of defence equipment and the strengthening of the defence industry", according to an Indonesian government statement.

A security analyst told AFP on Monday that Indonesia was unlikely to withdraw from the Rafale procurement contract despite rising budget pressures in economically uncertain times.

South-East Asia's largest economy is a net oil importer and is facing pressures from rising crude prices due to the Middle East war, even as the government insists on leaving subsidised fuel prices unchanged.

"A further question is whether the government's emergency savings will be used in this procurement process," said Christian Guntur Lebang, a researcher with the LAB 45 think tank.

"Given the current state of the country's finances, which are in disarray, it would certainly be unwise." -- AFP

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Philippines swears in senators for VP Duterte's impeachment trial
‘Heavy’ hearts as residents of Wang Fuk Court’s only spared block return again
Coach Jackson confident Thai top team Buriram will be at their best despite the absence of top duo for Shopee Cup final
Couple who took children storm chasing during typhoon spared criminal sentence
PM hails deepening Malaysia-India ties, pledges to strengthen relations
Shanghai Film Festival will not screen Japanese movies this year amid diplomatic row
Wealth shift: Chinese heirs take control sooner as US$11 trillion set to change hands
Spotify 20 is like Wrapped – but it includes all your messy years, too
Big blow as Pearly still sidelined, misses home Masters with Thinaah
‘Are you still hiring?’: K-pop king G-Dragon gifts flats to long-serving staff, sparks online buzz

Others Also Read