Couple who took children storm chasing during typhoon spared criminal sentence


A Hong Kong couple have been spared a criminal conviction for storm chasing with their children during Super Typhoon Ragasa last year after prosecutors agreed to settle the case with a bind-over order.

The couple were bound over at Eastern Court on Tuesday for three years on a joint charge of ill-treatment or neglect by those in charge of a child or young person.

Under the order, they will be fined HK$2,000 (US$255) if they fail to maintain good behaviour and keep the peace during the bind-over period, and can face heavier punishment for any further child abuse offences.

The 40-year-old father, surnamed Yen, and 38-year-old mother, surnamed Li, were arrested early this year after taking their children to a breakwater at Chai Wan’s Ka Yip Street to watch the waves as Ragasa swept across the city on September 23, 2025.

The Hong Kong Observatory raised the No 10 typhoon warning signal at 2.20pm that day and advised residents to stay away from coastal areas.

A three-metre (10-foot) wave swept the woman and her five-year-old son into the sea at about 3.10pm, just as the family of four were preparing to leave. The father then jumped into the water to try to rescue them.

The unconscious mother and son were eventually rescued by a nearby boatman and received treatment at the intensive care unit of Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital in Chai Wan.

The court heard the boy suffered from aspiration pneumonia and sustained multiple scratches and cuts to his head, chest and left leg. He was released from hospital on September 30.

Waves crash onto the flooded shore along the Heng Fa Chuen waterfront while a No 10 typhoon warning signal is in force on September 24 last year. Photo: Karma Lo

The couple’s nine-year-old daughter remained safe on shore and did not sustain any injuries.

Following their arrest, the couple remained silent under caution and refused police’s request to interview their children.

Police issued a statement after the incident, warning residents to refrain from visiting dangerous areas during extreme weather. The force also said enforcement action could be taken against those who endangered themselves.

Authorities currently have no plans to introduce specific fines for storm chasing and similar dangerous conduct.

Security minister Chris Tang Ping-keung said last October that the government would first evaluate the effectiveness of existing laws before considering the need to introduce new legislation. -- SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Coach Jackson confident Thai top team Buriram will be at their best despite the absence of top duo for Shopee Cup final
Shanghai Film Festival will not screen Japanese movies this year amid diplomatic row
Wealth shift: Chinese heirs take control sooner as US$11 trillion set to change hands
Big blow as Pearly still sidelined, misses home Masters with Thinaah
‘Are you still hiring?’: K-pop king G-Dragon gifts flats to long-serving staff, sparks online buzz
Nothing earthshaking about UEC 'recognition' in current form, says ex-MCA chief
India directs state-run banks, insurance firms to cut costs, shift to EVs
Japan arrests Americans over stunt at baby monkey Punch's zoo
Thailand ransom raid: Four police officers detained in Chinese abduction case
Bruneian paddlers claim podium finish in Sabah regatta

Others Also Read