Blinken deletes tweet saying US would ‘stand with people of Hong Kong’, posts watered-down version


US Secretary of State Antony Blinken deleted a tweet that said the United States would “stand with the people of Hong Kong”, a post in which he accused Beijing of weakening the city’s long-term political stability.

He posted the message after seven Hong Kong opposition district councillors were disqualified this week, with authorities declaring that the oaths taken by them were invalid.

A spokesman for the Chinese foreign ministry’s Hong Kong office issued a statement on Friday strongly opposing “irresponsible comments from certain US politicians” on Hong Kong, saying that “no US slanders” would deter the nation’s determination to enforce “patriots administering Hong Kong”.

Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team.

“[The seven district councillors] smeared the Chinese central government and the HKSAR government, stood on the side of anti-China, destabilising forces in Hong Kong and interfered into Hong Kong affairs and China‘s internal affairs as a whole,” according to the statement.

The spokesperson said in the statement that oath-taking was an international norm and remained important for ensuring that the national identity and political loyalty of legislators was set out through legislation.

“It is sheer hypocrisy and [a] double standard that the US vilifies the just measure of the HKSAR government, even as it itself has an ‘iron net’ system to require public officers to swear allegiance at home, and disqualifies lawmakers for violating parliamentary rules,” the statement added.

Image: Twitter

Blinken initially tweeted his criticism with an upfront tone on September 16: “Beijing should let the voices of all Hong Kongers be heard. The PRC’s disqualification of district councillors only weakens Hong Kong’s long-term political and social stability. We stand with the people of Hong Kong & continue to support their human rights & fundamental freedoms.”

The same tweet was also posted by Ned Price, spokesman for the US State Department, on the same day and it too was deleted.

US human trafficking report adds security law to list of Hong Kong concerns

A day later, Blinken posted a milder tweet that removed the US’ offer to stand with the people of Hong Kong and the blatant advice for Beijing to let the voices of all Hong Kong people heard.

His tweet the next day read: “The PRC’s disqualification of seven pro-democracy district councillors undermines the ability of people in Hong Kong to participate in their governance. Governments should serve the people they represent. Decreasing representation goes against the spirit of Hong Kong’s Basic Law.”

Image: Twitter

The second tweet was criticised by other users who said it was “weak” while some questioned why he would delete the earlier tweet that seemingly offered more moral support and assurance to Hong Kong’s opposition camp.

Blinken has regularly criticised Beijing’s handling of Hong Kong’s pro-democracy camp. It remains unclear why the outspoken US politician would soften his stance on Hong Kong’s democracy movement.

Last week, the Global Times published an editorial accusing Blinken and British foreign secretary Dominic Raab of “useless wailing for Hong Kong Alliance”.

China accuses US of ‘low political tricks’ over Uygur exhibit

In July, the US sanctioned seven Chinese officials, all deputy directors from the central government‘s liaison office in Hong Kong.

Its director, Luo Huining, was sanctioned in August last year.

More from South China Morning Post:

For the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Aseanplus News

Shanghai vows steps to become driver of high-quality growth
Girl, 6, breaks Singapore's pi memorisation record; recites 1,560 digits
Robredo supporters hold motorcade in Cebu City
Rise of sporadic Covid-19 cases in Sabah a sign SOPs not being followed, says Masidi
Cops open two investigations over Pandora Papers
Gleaming new train arrives in Laos ahead of railway opening
Bangkok’s Chong Nonsi canal walkway expected to be ready by Christmas
What’s cooking? Cloud kitchens see 'big opportunity' in Indonesia
Lively weekend at the beach for holiday-starved Malaysians
Myanmar junta blames 'foreign intervention' for ASEAN summit exclusion

Others Also Read


Vouchers