KUALA LUMPUR: Over 1,400 websites have been shut down or blocked by the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) following complaints by Malaysian Internet users.
Communications and Multimedia Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek (pic) said 1,225 complaints had been lodged with the commission this year alone, with regards to misuse of social media websites and accounts.
“This only constitutes about 0.06% of Malaysia’s Internet users, but we still take action if the complaints are found to be true.
“Following that, we have shut down about 1,400 websites, because although we believe in freedom of information, it should not be done against the law,” he said in reply to Datuk Seri Noh Omar (BN - Tanjong Karang) in Parliament Tuesday.
Noh also mentioned a ‘rakyat biadap’ who he claimed continued to ‘shame the country’ after absconding, in an apparent reference to sex blogger Alvin Tan who jumped bail and is said to be seeking political asylum in the United States.
To that, Ahmad Shabery said 11 cases of social media abuse had been taken to court this year, including Tan’s case.
“The MCMC has also registered about 2,000 complaints on some people misusing their Facebook accounts.
“Our job is made slightly difficult because a number of users do not go by their actual names, but we will still endeavour to find them and take action,” he added.
In a follow up question, Noh also suggested a new Social Media Department in the ministry to replace the Information Department, which he claimed still used conventional methods to disseminate information.
In response, Ahmad Shabery said he will consider setting up the new department, but to complement the Information Department to make it more IT-savvy.
Did you find this article insightful?