Chinese youth to have smartphone, Internet use curbed


Under the restrictions, set to come into force on Sept 2 following a public consultation, anyone under the age of 18 will be cut off from accessing the Internet with a mobile device between 10pm and 6am. — Dreamstime/TNS

BEIJING: Chinese children and teens will be cut off from accessing the Internet at night and have their smartphone use curbed under new rules unveiled Aug 2 aimed at fighting Internet addiction.

Under the restrictions, set to come into force on Sept 2 following a public consultation, anyone under the age of 18 will be cut off from accessing the Internet with a mobile device between 10pm and 6am.

A tiered system for managing smartphone usage time will also be imposed, spanning a maximum of 40 minutes a day for those under the age of eight to two hours for 16- and 17-year-olds.

The new rules – proposed by the Cyberspace Administration of China (CAC) – are some of the most stringent in the world.

Parents will be able to bypass them if they wish, however.

The CAC said the rules would “improve the positive role of the Internet, create a favourable network environment, prevent and intervene in minors’ Internet addiction problems, and guide minors to form good Internet use habits”.

The measures would build upon existing efforts to strengthen the online protection of minors, it added, including by “enriching age-appropriate content” and reducing “the influence of bad information”.

Beijing authorities have pursued expansive regulation of the domestic tech sector in recent years, due in part to concerns over the risk posed to young people by digital technology.

In 2021, China capped the amount of gaming time for children with the stated aim of fighting addiction, and froze approvals of new games for nine months, hammering the bottom lines of many companies including sector titan Tencent.

And Wednesday’s decision suggests Beijing’s regulatory clampdown on domestic tech giants continues.

Stocks of many leading Chinese Internet firms fell Wednesday following the CAC’s announcement, with Tencent’s Hong Kong-listed shares down 3%.

Meanwhile, web search, AI and online services giant Baidu saw its shares fall 3.75% during trading in Hong Kong. – AFP

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Tech News

British tech founder Mike Lynch set to testify at US trial over HP deal
Amazon to deorbit pair of prototype satellites, calling tests successful
AI-generated videos to drive more demand for Nvidia chips, CEO Huang says
Tomb Raider owner says humans hold key to game evolution as AI gains ground
Russian rights group says YouTube threatens to block its anti-war channel
Scarlett Johansson's OpenAI feud rekindles Hollywood fear of artificial intelligence
Analysis-Google acquiring HubSpot would bolster bid to challenge Microsoft
Former Wipro CEO Delaporte earned $20 million in last year at helm
US plans $75 million grant to Absolics for advanced chip packaging
TikTok said to plan job cuts amid a wave of tech industry layoffs

Others Also Read