UK foreign minister attacks Google over ‘child abuse content’


  • TECH
  • Thursday, 30 Aug 2018

British Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt speaks outside the United Nations Security Council prior to presiding over a meeting of the Council at U.N. headquarters in New York City, New York, U.S., August 23, 2018. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson

LONDON: British foreign minister Jeremy Hunt accused Google on Aug 30 of abandoning its moral values by failing to remove child abuse content while launching a version of its search engine in China that will block some websites. 

The government has repeatedly criticised online platforms such as Twitter, YouTube and Facebook for failing to remove abusive material or sexual content posted online even after they were notified. 

“Seems extraordinary that Google is considering censoring its content to get into China but won’t cooperate with UK, US ... in removing child abuse content,” Hunt said on Twitter. “They used to be so proud of being values-driven.” 

Alphabet's Google plans a search engine in China that will block some search terms and websites, two sources told Reuters earlier this month, in a move that could mark its return to a market it abandoned eight years ago on censorship concerns. 

Google declined to comment on Hunt's remarks. 

Britain, the US, Australia, Canada and New Zealand invited major technology companies to attend a meeting on tackling child abuse and extremism on their websites, but the firms declined to attend, the Daily Mail reported on Aug 30. 

Google did offer to send an executive to the conference but the offer was not taken up, a source at the company said. 

In January, Prime Minister Theresa May used an address at the World Economic Forum in Davos to say investors should use their financial power to force internet firms into taking more responsibility for stopping militants and paedophiles using their platforms. 

Google, which quit China's search engine market in 2010, has been actively seeking ways to re-enter China where many of its products are blocked by regulators. 

Leading human rights groups, including Amnesty International, have urged Google not to bow to censorship demands in China because by doing so, they allege, the company would be complicit in the repression of freedom of speech. 

Search terms about human rights, democracy, religion and peaceful protests will be among the words blacklisted in the search engine app, which The Intercept website said had already been demonstrated to the Chinese government. 

The project is code-named “Dragonfly” and has been under way since the spring of 2017, the news website said. – Reuters

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Google; Jeremy Hunt

   

Next In Tech News

Kuaishou ends US push by shutting down TikTok clone
Amazon launches free one-day delivery in Brazil amid fierce competition
Iranians fear new bill will restrict Internet even further
Chinese state media soften tone as criticism of gaming continues
Teen, 16, admits to taking upskirt videos of schoolgirls, including one in primary school in S’pore
Tokyo Olympics: A 58-year-old table tennis player is finding online fame as the ‘Shanghai auntie’
Sony posts record Q1 profit on pandemic demand for devices and content
Tencent weighs kids games ban after ‘spiritual opium’ rebuke
Over eight in 10 anti-Semitic social media posts weren’t acted on when reported, research finds
Facebook disables accounts tied to NYU research project

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers