Kremlin fires boss of Russia's space agency


FILE PHOTO: General Director of the Russian state space corporation Roscosmos Yuri Borisov looks on at the Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan, March 23, 2024. REUTERS/Pavel Mikheyev/File Photo

MOSCOW (Reuters) - The Kremlin on Thursday removed the head of Russia's space agency after a tenure of less than three years that was scarred by the spectacular failure of Russia's first mission to the moon in 47 years.

In a statement, the Kremlin said Yuri Borisov, who had headed Roscosmos since July 2022, had been relieved of his post. It did not state a reason.

He was replaced by deputy transport minister Dmitry Bakanov, who before joining the government had been in charge of a satellite company.

Ever since Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin became the first man to go into space in 1961, Russia has prided itself as a leading power in space exploration. But its ambitions suffered a massive blow in August 2023 when its uncrewed Luna-25 mission smashed into the surface of the moon while attempting to land.

Borisov, despite that failure, had laid out ambitious plans for the coming years as Russia prepares to launch its own orbital space station. The new project will replace the ageing International Space Station (ISS) where Russia has collaborated closely with the United States even after relations were plunged into crisis because of the war in Ukraine.

Last year Borisov approved a schedule under which the first two modules of the new Russian station would launch in 2027. Russia has said it plans to maintain a continuous crewed presence in space and conduct scientific, economic and security-related projects that were not possible in the Russian segment of the ISS.

World powers are competing not only to explore space but also potentially to deploy weapons there. With the looming expiry in 2026 of the last major agreement between Russia and the U.S. that limits their number of nuclear weapons, each side has accused the other of plans to unleash an arms race in space.

Borisov, the outgoing boss, formerly served as a deputy defence minister under Sergei Shoigu, who was last year replaced by President Vladimir Putin and moved to a new role as secretary of Russia's Security Council,

His replacement Bakanov is the former head of a company called Gonets, which operates a Russian satellite communications system similar to the U.S. Starlink, but much smaller in size and used mainly for government purposes.

The company was the Russian partner in OneWeb, a global satellite communications project. Russia had planned to actively participate in One Web but pulled out in 2018 after the FSB intelligence agency said it was a threat to national security.

(Reporting by Mark Trevelyan and Gleb Stolyarov; editing by Guy Faulconbridge)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Dutch speed skaters Bergsma, Groenewoud collect mass start golds at Milan-Cortina Games
Trump raises new global tariff from 10 pct to 15 pct
Olympic women's freeski halfpipe final rescheduled amid adverse weather (updated)
5 die of carbon monoxide poisoning in Russia's Vologda Region
Iranian students begin new university term with protests
France's Michelon storms to mass start gold as biathlon concludes at Milan-Cortina Games
Two aircraft collide on the ground at Schiphol airport, no injuries
2nd LD: Trump raises new global tariff from 10 pct to 15 pct
Romania issues orange flood warning for southern rivers
1st LD: Trump raises new global tariff from 10 pct to 15 pct

Others Also Read