Red Sea tragedy: 17 missing after Red Sea tourist boat capsizes


CAIRO: Egyptian authorities said 17 people, including foreigners, were missing and 28 others rescued after a tourist yacht capsized off the country's Red Sea coast on Monday (Nov 25).

The vessel had been carrying 31 tourists of various nationalities and a 14-member crew at 5.30am when a distress signal was sent out, said a statement from the Red Sea governorate.

The Sea Story embarked on Sunday (Nov 24) on a multi-day diving trip from Port Ghalib in Egypt's southeast, and was due to dock in the town of Hurghada, 200km north, on Friday (Nov 29).

Governor Amr Hanafi said in a statement that some survivors were rescued by an aircraft, while others were transported by a warship to safety.

"Intensive search operations are underway in coordination with the navy and the armed forces," he said.

The Red Sea is a major tourist destination in Egypt, a country of 105 million in serious economic crisis. The sector employs two million people and generates more than 10% of GDP. - AFP

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Others Also Read