Philippines extends Luzon lockdown to April 30


A homeless family and their tree dogs take shelter along an empty street following the lockdown at the Philippine main island to contain the Covid-19 outbreak, in Manila, Philippines, April 2, 2020. - Reuters

MANILA (Xinhua): The Philippines' main island of Luzon will continue to be locked down until April 30 as the government continues to fight Covid-19 in the country, a Philippine official said on Tuesday (April 7).

Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles said in a virtual media briefing that Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has approved the recommendation of the inter-agency implementing the measures to stem the spread of the virus for the extension of the enhanced community quarantine.

Duterte announced late Monday night that his administration is inclined to extend the lockdown.

The entire main Luzon island in the Philippines has been under "enhanced community quarantine" until April 12 in a drastic bid to contain the spread of Covid-19 in the country.

The Philippines has so far recorded 3,660 Covid-19 cases with 163 deaths and 73 recoveries. - Xinhua

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Philippines , covid-19 , emergency , Duterte , extend

   

Next In Regional

Misadventure verdict overturned in Nora Anne's death inquest
Scammers targeting people in S’pore weave Covid-19 vaccines, MOH into their false narratives
Kuaishou expands aggressively in Brazil, South-East Asia to challenge TikTok
China contributes 500,000 CoronaVac doses to Malaysia
Covid-19: 5,150 new cases, Selangor tops list with 1,914
Alibaba victim of huge data leak as China tightens security
Pharmaniaga embarks on plan to supply Sinovac to state govt, private sector
Watchdog: South Korean women, girls badly affected by ‘pervasive’ digital sex crime
Najib still an MP, not a bankrupt despite court ruling, says lawyer
Lockdown to be relaxed once daily cases drop below 4,000, says PM

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers